‘Alchemist’ is a general term covering a number of different types of practitioners:
- General catch-all – largely charlatans
- Potion Makers
- Mix of charlatans and genuine herbal remedies
- Black Powder
- Custodians of the old knowledge from the Old Empire days
- The practice was officially outlawed in Balcia some years after the defeat of the old empire
- The old order went underground – it’s members spread across the kingdom, adopting whatever guise they felt best to continue the practice in secret. Most became ‘Alchemists’ – playing the role of bumbling charlatan to avoid the gaze of the authorities. It allowed them to keep certain items of paraphernalia and behave strangely without too much notice.
- What about the ‘witch hunters’?… Perhaps they are not Balcian – Balcia takes a pretty relaxed view, happy to turn a blind eye as long as things are running smoothly
- Arundel Alfredsun
- Kenelm Dryden
- An old alchemist living out in the country near the village of Fenfield, just past the town of Rothbury on the River Tye.
The Balcian Alchemists